Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
YOUNDP In Brief > NY IDs



ID cards and Social Security Number


When arriving in a foreign country the first thing you need is a proof of identity and existence like an ID card, as you would not want to carry your passport all the time.
In order to procure a photo ID card valid in the US you could visit the website of DMV and get all the required information regarding a photo ID or a Driver’s License.

The UN provides you with a UN family ID card which is meant for the spouse and the other family members from the Pass and Identification Unit located at 801 United Nations Plaza (at the corner of 1st Avenue and East 45th Street) on the Ground Floor.

Social Security Number is issued to the working members of the family and in this case our spouses who work for the UN can get one.

More information about these can be procured from